The Department for Education’s Strategy for Sustainability and Climate Change for the Education and Children’s Services Systems
Education plays a vital role in:
- helping to tackle climate change
- creating a better, greener world for future generations
We can positively impact, influence and inspire communities by improving the:
- sustainability of the environment in and around education settings
- knowledge and understanding of children and young people
To do this, the Department for Education (DfE) has developed a sustainability and climate change strategy to:
- help the education sector and children’s services systems do this
- inspire action on the international stage
Whilst developing the strategy they’ve engaged with:
- subject specialists
- representative bodies
- leading experts
- young people
Climate Change Action Plan
The strategy states: “By 2025, all education settings will have nominated a sustainability lead and put in place a climate action plan”. This includes early years settings, schools, multi-academy trusts, colleges, and universities.
A climate action plan is a detailed plan to enable our education setting, or trust, to progress or commence sustainability initiatives.
This is something our Eco Warriors are helping to create and is a focus of our School Development Plan 2023-2024.
From December 2023, the DfE will begin to roll out a programme of further support for the education sector. They will provide access to:
- a sustainability leadership digital hub which will signpost to training, guidance and support offered by quality assured organisations working in this space depending on what our setting needs and already has in place. Settings who require this specific training will be able to access carbon literacy training via this hub
- a network of local experts and peer to peer support that can assist us in establishing our sustainability leadership structure and develop and implement our action plan
For further information on The Department for Education’s strategy for sustainability and climate change for the education and children’s services systems, click on the link below.